What Does “COPPA” Compliant Mean?
The FTC has created certain protections for children and their parents to protect their privacy, called the Child Online Protection and Privacy Act (COPPA). COPPA directs operators of websites and online services on how to protect children’s privacy and safety online. You can learn more about COPPA on the FTC website. You should also check the site’s Privacy or Terms of Service, paying particular attention to the following:
- What type of personal information is collected?
- How is personal data used (sold to 3rd party vendors you trust)?
- What are the age restrictions?
- Can children access other websites or apps from the one they initially accessed?
- Is there a statement that the parent can review or delete the child’s personal information and refuse further collection or use?