Ada Gillispie’s devotion to children in 1931 inspired her to raise funds to provide care for children in need.
From that humble start was borne the school which has stood near the south end of Girard Avenue since 1952. The choice of the Gillispie name signals an earlier commitment to the community from Dr. Samuel T. Gillispie, Ada’s husband and a local pediatrician and civic leader. In his memory, Mrs. Gillispie and others committed to the care and education of children created the school as a testimony to future generations to continue in this important community service.
The Gillispie School was incorporated in 1947. Soon after, land was purchased for the first building. Several buildings have been added since then, most recently a two-story elementary school building that also houses technology and science labs, a gymnasium and administrative offices. Established first as a preschool, the needs of the community dictated an expanded role as an early childhood center and elementary school. Today over 300 students continue to fulfill Dr. and Mrs. Gillispie’s dream of improving the lives of children in the La Jolla community.
The original building was created to be an inviting second home for children. This heritage has continued in the present $6.5 million campus which was completed in August 2002.